PORTLAND’S INNOVATIVE FUNDING FOR ARTS EDUCATION

Liz Fuller is a leader in the Creative Advocacy Network. The Network played a central role in passing Portland’s new income tax that supports arts education in the schools. Fuller’s talk will focus on the strategies used for gaining public and elected-official support for this measure. Participants in AFC’s Advocacy Day will have the opportunity to hear Fuller and also engage in a question and answer session following her presentation.

 

Voters in Portland, Oregon, recently passed a landmark $35 per-taxpayer income tax to restore arts teachers to every local elementary school and fund the arts citywide. The measure will raise a total of $12.2 million annually with approximately 69% of the funds going to arts teachers and arts education coordination. The remaining 31% of the funds will be allocated to nonprofit arts organizations. The Arts Education and Access Fund was years in the making and is the first local public fund to make targeted investments in both K-12 arts education and community-based arts organizations through a voter-approved income tax.

 

Still want to learn more? Join us for AFC’s Advocacy Day where you can listen to and interact with Liz Fuller, who played a central role in making this new revenue stream to support arts education possible.

 

Register Today for AFC’s Advocacy Day!
Only 26 more spaces are available for this event. Click on this link to register online by Monday, April 1. The participation fee is $25 for general admission, $15 for students, and free for legislators.* The participation fee includes breakfast, lunch, materials, and access to all Advocacy Day activities. Vegetarian and gluten-free meal options will be available. For a complete listing of the Advocacy Day activities, please click here.

 

Additional Information:
Please contact Aleah Menefee at info@artsforcolorado.org if you have questions or would like additional information about this event.

 

*If you are a legislator and would like to attend, please RSVP to Aleah Menefee at info@artsforcolorado.org by Monday, April 1. The value of the event is $32 and receipts will be provided for Amendment 41 purposes.